Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Duke....Really?

I had not been keeping up with this.

Have to admit, I am ashamed of Duke at this point.  I have often defended Duke's record during the lacrosse scandal, blaming it mostly on the fact the prosecutor actually lied about facts, and made things up.

Sure, some (not a lot, but some) faculty said things that I regret, even if they don't.  But a number of Duke administrators (particularly Provost Peter Lange) actually behaved admirably, and they don't always get proper credit.

But this...gosh.  Full disclosure:  I consider KC Johnson at somewhere between acquaintance and friend, and I have known him for quite a while.  So perhaps I'm biased.  I'll let you decide.

As for me, I'd say Duke acted badly here.

1 comment:

Angry Alex said...

If you wager that the typical faculty member is going to try to wipe his/her ass with your civil liberties when you disagree with them you'll win most of your bets. Stifling dissent sort of comes first nature to all but a slim minority of lefties.